Monday, February 8, 2010

Getting to the Heart of it All

The thing that has been in my heart and mind the most here lately is the HEART.

The Bible says in Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

And it Proverbs 23:26, it says, "My son, give ME thine heart..."

It seems to me that God is saying, "You really don't know what you want, TRUST ME."  In fact, he does say something to that effect in Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto THINE OWN understanding."

It's been something amazing to watch God do a work in our family.  Some days, I'm ready to quit, but each day, God either encourages me, or points out something new to change, depending on what I need at that moment.

All of that to say, it bothers me when I look at so many people in the church, who are VERY active, DOING all the right things, but complaining about it, or fussing about all the work they do that goes un-noticed, or complaining about being "under-appreciated".

I mean, wasn't the point in the first place to do things for GOD??  And doesn't He see you WHEREVER you are??? And doesn't He say to not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing???  Since when is it wrong to go un-noticed??  I feel so awkward when people tell me I've done something right.  Isn't that the way it's supposed to be??

It breaks my heart that so many FUNDAMENTAL, INDEPENDENT BAPTISTS are so bitter.  So utterly twisted inside that they are the inspiration for the "Grumblers Song".  If I'm not doing what I do at church for the Lord, to serve HIM, WHY am I doing it??

It's a question that I haven't quite answered, but it's something that has weighed heavily on my mind.  It's not as if I haven't been there.  I did complain, a lot, about some of my ministries, and whether or not they are important.  But since I gave much of it back to God, and let Him have control, and delegated some of what I do to others who were looking for something to do, my life has been much better.

I can honestly say now that I LOVE what I GET to do for God.  HE takes care of the details, and I just follow.

So I guess my question is: If you go to the heart of what you do, what do you see there??  Are you doing it for show, so everyone thinks you're a wonderful person? Or are you truly enjoying serving God to the best of your ability??  No matter where it is: home, school, church, grocery store, cleaning bathrooms..... WHY are you doing it?  Is it to BE a blessing or is it to GET a blessing??  Are you being SELFISH in your service, or are you doing UNSELFISHLY??

No comments: